Seldom do I EVER respond to polarizing arguments online, but there are a few forums that I frequent and have good, sometimes tense, but healthy conversations. This evening was one of those evenings. I was floating in the bliss of this coming Lord’s day and basking in the aroma of a week of study and hope-filled expectation of the work of God through His word. To say I was glad is understated. In the midst of my bliss, an unsuspecting troll moved along and unbeknown to me, I accidentally posted in a forum that I “observe” thinking it was a good-soiled tilling. For a moment think of someone who claims to be holy, a lover of truth, and a lover of the brethren by their self-confession. Now consider these following statements:
Pinhead, I despise your iniquity. Get your heart right and get honor, I eschew evil – YOUR theology. YOU are one of the morons.
This is not a joke. For about four seconds I was totally taken back, asked the brother to message me and he adamantly noted that all of his points and thoughts would “remain public”. In just a few minutes though I realized I had posted in the wrong place my exegesis of the love of God in answering a metaphor listed by a participant. To that then I graciously just bowed out. Had I had an EKG at the moment it would have read a near heart failure! It’s amazing what the flesh will do when provoked unwarranted. By the grace of the Lord I was able to settle down, remove my anger, pray for this man, “Jeff” and then engage in another fruitful conversation before retiring for bed.
Just so we don’t get assumptive on the context, I was sharing previous theological writing from me and my colleagues on the matter of universalism, which is a very bad heretical view of salvation that teaches all people are forgiven and propitiated at the cross of Christ. We know that the scripture teaches that only those who believe will be saved and no one can believe apart from God’s word. So, I shared the resources and was slapped ferociously as stated. But in the end, I am glad and here’s why:
- I am a pinhead. I mean, I have believed some very pinheaded stuff through the last four decades, so, comment taken. However, while so, I am not being foolish or stupid on this matter and by leaving the argument to the Lord, I have proven so – staying in would have proven me a pinhead.
- I too despise my iniquity and I am glad this hateful person has so much in common with me. Gladly my iniquity has been nailed to the cross and I am no longer bound to the death that belongs to my sinful guilt because Jesus Christ has taken on Himself and made me His righteousness. Amen. (BTW, it is by grace alone through faith alone, not of works of any kind.)
- Getting my heart right and getting honor is hard to comprehend. His statement to get my heart right was to repent of number 2 and go with universalism, but for that I am not going to shake. And also, my heart cannot be right before God through any work of my own, but only through the finished work of Jesus Christ. The honor he was speaking of was me asking him to please not call me and my brothers “morons”.
- Another point of unity with Jeff is that I also “eschew” evil, that is I avoid and shun it by the grace of God. Sadly, he was calling me evil because of my theology right after he argued that ALL people are saved automatically because of Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection. I’m confused by this because if we are indeed brothers, according to John, he cannot avoid me but rather, should be patient with me while training me in righteousness. After all the litmus test of redemption is love for God and love for the saints.
- OK, while I hate to admit it, I am a moron. Got me. I am a fool that is sustained by the invisible and sovereign grace of God that was manifest through the person of Jesus. I am a fool for Him and His gospel and preaching it is foolish in the eyes of all the world.
- As this was unfolding, the resources I shared sparked a conversation off forum with a few folks and one in particular wanted to learn more, so we spoke and will, by the Lord’s grace, talk again tomorrow evening. Happily I have brothers near him who can surround him and provide answers if needed.
So, remember church, the world will hate you because it hates the Lord of the Bible, the Son of God and His good news. Stay close to the vine, don’t wobble down the line and stand firm in Christ!
For His Glory,