Well, if you haven’t noticed, the Presidential Election is upon us. It never fails, every day I seem to get more and more email, phone calls and personal conversations about the election. The attitude is mixed concerning the future leader of our country and I hope today to give a sense of peace concerning our future in America.
No matter your political beliefs or which candidate(s) you are supporting, as a believer, you do have an obligation to be active in the political process and it doesn’t begin and end during election time. We are ‘stewards’ of this world and this government and we should reflect on the totality of scripture and the Gospel when voting, making sure that our prayer life, not our personal opinions and agenda’s are in play at the poles.
Ultimately, the election process is, in my opinion, a Godless act of defamation. All parties usually spend their time digging dirt and destructive propaganda in order to ‘win’ favor in the eyes of a certain group of the population. This in itself makes me a little disgusted, especially that I have found myself participating in years past. In order to maintain our witness as believers, we must not act like the world. Jesus asks the question, “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet lose his soul?” Mark 8:36. I pose that same question to us during this political time.
The other day I heard a radio broadcast and the guest made a statement that was profound concerning political frustration. “Don’t simply curse the darkness, but constructively engage it.” We are to be a ‘light’ to the world, not a darkness labeler. We will overcome the evils of this world, to an extent, by being and living in Christ and doing ‘good’ not stooping to the level of the politicians.
There are several things that we need to keep in mind about politics and our spiritual family unity in Christ. We must strive to engage but not divide and above all things, honor Christ and trust in Him to guide us and our nation.
Remember these key things during this time and you’ll live a little longer, I promise:
- The President is not Jesus. He is just a man with somewhat tied hands who leads a very critical and important system. No one man in the White House is going to make or break this country. When the USA is going to fall, it doesn’t matter who’s in the President’s seat. God has this timed, not man. 1 Peter 3:15
- God’s Kingdom has nothing to do with red and blue. Sometimes we think that God has a party. He doesn’t. God is impartial to man’s divisions and alignment. Yes, God is pleased with moral and Christ-like beliefs and ideals, but the USA is NOT God’s special country and our political system doesn’t revolve around the advancement of God’s kingdom or will among us. The world is apart from God. Matthew 6:33
- Quit worrying about things. God has a plan and is sovereign in all things so our security is not in the White House but in Christ alone. If you trust in God, do your part and forget it. The apocalypse will come with Christ’s return in a flash, we don’t have to worry about who is going to usher it in – Jesus will and it will last about a second. Hebrews 12:26-29
- Be sure to pray for each candidate and love them all. To engage in bashing one against the other is a violation of Christ’s love for us. Every person is created in the image of God and is a part of His plan. We should pray and trust that Christ will be glorified in us as well as our nation’s leaders. Matthew 5:44; James 4:12
- Division is of the devil. This sounds obvious but when brothers and sisters in Christ begin to divide over political candidates it is time to think about our hearts. Anything that divides the body of Christ is not of the Holy Spirit but of the enemy. Of course we stand for truth, doctrine and the Gospel – politics is a vigorous debate but nothing worth parting ways over. A mean, dogmatic attitude destroys the testimony of the church anyway. Romans 16:17; 2 Timothy 2:14
This presidential election is a critical one as all of them are and the outcome of this election could impact people’s lives for the good or in a severely negative way. But remember, Christ is King, not any man! He is on the throne and the pres, well it’s four years and even the president is chosen by God.
Trust in the Lord and do your part. VOTE according to the Holy Spirit, not CNN or Fox News. Not the debates or your silly ideals, vote because Christ is King and you are going to stand for what is right, not religious.
Hebrews 12:26-29 (ESV)
26 At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.”
The Last Emperor trailer
27 This phrase, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of things that are shaken—that is, things that have been made—in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain.
28 Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe,
29 for our God is a consuming fire.
Staying Stupid, Pastor James